It’s quick, it’s easy and you already have most of the ingredients in your kitchen cupboard.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
• 40ml sunflower oil
• 2 onions, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 10ml mild curry powder
• 5ml each cumin and coriander
• 1 each cinnamon stick, cardamom pod and clove
• 1 x 410g can chopped tomatoes
• 600g vegetables of your choice, cut into small pieces
• 1,5l vegetable stock
• plain yoghurt, fresh coriander and sesame oil, to serve
1 Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and sauté until just soft. Add the garlic and spices and fry for one minute.
2 Add the vegetables and stock and bring to the boil. Add more water to cover the vegetables if necessary. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally. Add a pinch of sugar and season to taste.
3 Remove the whole spices and blend the soup in a food processor until smooth. Serve with a spoonful of plain yoghurt, fresh coriander and a drizzle of sesame oil.