There’s nothing like a steaming bowl of soup on a cold day.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
• 125g streaky bacon, chopped (optional)
• 60ml olive oil
• 4 leeks, sliced
• 2 sticks celery, chopped
• 12 ripe tomatoes, chopped
• 5ml dried basil
• 3ml dried origanum
• 1 small can tomato paste
• 2 litres prepared chicken or vegetable stock
• 150ml dry white wine (optional)
• 1 pack of cheese or meat-filled tortellini
• sour cream and basil pesto, to serve
• Parmesan cheese, shaved or grated, to garnish
1 Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the bacon and cook for a few minutes, then add the leeks and celery. Cook until soft.
2 Add the tomatoes, herbs, tomato paste, half the stock and the wine. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
3 Blend the soup in a liquidiser until smooth. Return to the saucepan and add the remaining stock. Bring to the boil, then add the tortellini. Simmer for three to five minutes until the tortellini are cooked through.
4 Serve with a swirl of sour cream and a dollop of pesto, and garnished with a little Parmesan cheese.