Indulge in this decadent white-chocolate-dessert.
Makes: 8 large or 20 small
Preparation time: 40 minutes, plus refrigeration time
Baking time: 13⁄4 hours
Oven temperature: 100°C
• 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
• 130ml (115g) castor sugar
• 220ml (115g) sifted icing sugar
• 60ml cream
• 120g white chocolate, broken into pieces
• pink powdered food colouring
1 Line two baking trays with baking paper.
2 Beat the egg whites in a large glass or metal bowl at medium speed until stiff peaks form when the beaters are lifted.
3 Increase the speed of the beaters to high and add the castor sugar, one spoon at a time, beating for a few seconds between each addition.
4 Sift a third of the icing sugar over the mixture and fold it in, repeat with another third and then the remaining third.
5 Spoon the mixture onto the prepared trays to make round shapes. Bake in a preheated oven for 11⁄2 to 13/4 hours until crisp. Cool completely.
6 Heat the cream and stir in the chocolate. Once melted, cool, then refrigerate for at least two hours. Remove from the fridge and stir in the colouring. Use to sandwich the meringues together.
• Don’t use liquid food colouring, as it may cause the chocolate to split.
• As an alternative, colour the meringues pink and leave the filling white.