This tasty vegetarian meal is the perfect start to healthy eating.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
• 1 onion, sliced
• olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 2ml each ground cinnamon, chilli powder, ginger, paprika and cumin
• 1ml ground turmeric
• 2 tins chopped tomatoes
• 250ml vegetable stock
• 1 tin chickpeas, drained
• 1 tin small white beans, drained
• 1 brinjal, cubed and salted
• 1 yellow pepper, seeded and cubed
• 30ml sliced, pitted green olives
• 30ml honey
• 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
• 200g couscous
• juice and grated zest of ½ lemon
1 Heat a large saucepan and sauté the onion in a little olive oil until soft. Add the garlic and the spices and fry for one minute. Add the tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes.
2 Add the chickpeas and beans and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
3 Rinse the brinjal and fry in a separate pan in a little olive oil until browned. Add to the tomato mixture along with the yellow pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes, then stir in the olives, honey and half the coriander. Season to taste, then remove from the heat, but keep the lid on.
4 Couscous Cover the couscous with boiling water. Stir in the lemon juice. Cover and leave to steam for five minutes. Uncover and stir in a little olive oil along with the lemon zest and remaining chopped coriander. Serve with the chickpea tagine.