It’s quick, it’s easy and most of the ingredients are already in your store cupboard.
A recipe a day. Week 1: Sunday
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 10
• sunflower oil, for frying
• 500g beef rump or other steak, sliced against the grain
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 6 cloves
• 5ml yellow or black mustard seeds
• 2 medium-sized onions, chopped
• 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
• 7ml ground coriander
• 15ml freshly grated ginger
• 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
• 2-3 fresh chillies, seeded and chopped
• 5ml each ground cumin and turmeric
• 1 can chopped tomatoes
• 2ml ground cardamom
• 250ml plain yoghurt
• 60ml chopped fresh coriander, plus extra to garnish
• rotis, to serve
1 Heat a thin layer of oil in a frying pan. Brown the beef over a high heat in batches. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2 Heat a little more oil over medium heat in a clean saucepan. Add the cinnamon, cloves and mustard seeds. Once the seeds have popped, add the onion and carrot and cook until soft. Add the coriander, ginger, garlic and chillies. Stir well. Add the cumin, turmeric and tomatoes. Season with salt and a pinch of sugar. Add 250ml water and bring to the boil.
3 Add the meat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the cardamom, yoghurt and coriander. Serve with rotis and garnish with coriander.
Week 1 (Monday): Kassler chops with savoury mash
Week 1 (Tuesday): Chicken skewers with chilli and mint soba noodles
Week 1 (Wednesday): Potato cake with salmon and egg
Week 1 (Thursday): Roasted vegetable and salami pasta
Week 1 (Friday): Mexican bean wrap
Week 1 (Saturday): Ostrich phyllo pie